Saturday, May 30, 2009

Bitter To Be Better

I love vegies...I would love to share one of my favourite dishes namely "pan-fried bittergourds with spicy soya bean paste". These are the Taiwanese bittergourds which has a high degree of bitterness. For those health-concerns will surely love them very much.
Okay..let's get started...
The ingredients are...

....and of course a little cooking oil, salt and sugar to taste.

Steps...firstly, fry the shallots, garlics and chillies till fragrant. Then, pop in the soya bean paste. Mix well and then put in the small shrimps. Lastly the cut bittergourds. Add some salt and sugar to taste. Wait till the bittergourds are half-cooked (my style, to maintain the crunchiness) and the gravy thickens.

Last but not the least, enjoy!!

A little info about the nutritional benefits of eating bitter gourds

Bitter gourds are very low in calories but dense with precious nutrients. It is an excellent source of vitamins B1, B2, and B3, C, magnesium, folic acid, zinc, phosphorus, manganese, and has high dietary fiber. It is rich in iron, contains twice the beta-carotene of broccoli, twice the calcium of spinach, and twice the potassium of a banana.
Bitter melon contains a unique phyto-constituent that has been confirmed to have a hypoglycemic effect called charantin. There is also another insulin-like compound known as polypeptide P which have been suggested as insulin replacement in some diabetic patients.

10 comments:

MommyAngel said...

Oh my ..... high degree of bitterness ya, hahaha .... must really really bitter!!

Thanks for sharing the recipe, I will try it out someday for sure :) Looks really yummy and my hubby will definitely love this dish.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Woww, high degree of bitterness? For me, I am okay with the normal type of bittergourds, hmm...not sure I can tahan with these taiwan bittergourds.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the recipe.

UmmiRosma said...

Mommy Angel and Sarah's Daddy and Mommy ~ Have a go with this recipe, you can get the normal bittergourds to replace these. *winks*

Mummy Gwen said...

Wah...the bitter the better for you ah..hehe..I can't tahan bitternesslah. But I've come across bittergourd that's not bitter b4..hehe. Anyway, yr recipe looks yummy and easy to cook ya. Thanks for sharing. :)

BTW, I prepared the buttermilk myself. I added 1 tbsp of distilled white vinegar to a cup of milk(240ml). I've seen buttermilk at Cold Storage and Giant in KL.

Ummu Mishkah said...

bagusnya suka makan sayur.. dapat pulak sayur tanam sendiri lagi puas hati kan?

Yannie said...

Umi, Bittergourds is one of my favourite dish too. I want to try your recipe , Thanks for your sharing this recipe.

Umi,I stayed in Japan because My husband study in here.

Nanaybelen said...

I like vegetable but not spicy. Thanks for sharing

Liz said...

I love peria too. soon I'll try...

Jess said...

Wah.. nampak sedap.

From Jess
http://www.kidsislands.blogspot.com

UmmiRosma said...

Mummy Gwen ~ oh tnx for sharing the info about the buttermilk too.

UmmuMishkah ~ True..but these bittergourds were not from our little garden...kalo dari kebun sendiri mungkin lebih sedap heheee

Yanie ~ So have a try..hopefully it is not
difficult to find these in Japan. Happy stay in Japan...!

Liz/Nanaybelen/Jess ~ Sure! Sure!